Our staff is devoted to showing up for Ruff Start’s animals, volunteers, and fosters. To see who currently comprises our staff, visit our team page.
We are currently hiring for the below opportunities. Please carefully read each position description and rules to apply before submitting your application.
Description: Provide examinations, patient care, and surgical services for animals belonging to Ruff Start Rescue as well as participating rescues and shelters in accordance with the ideals and standards of Ruff Start Rescue. Work alongside the DVM to provide treatments to the rescue animals, based on their recommendations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate and examine incoming surgical patients for previous sterilization surgery, hernias, pregnancy, cryptorchidism, or health problems that may preclude them from having surgery.
- Complete medical and surgical procedures in a competent, safe, and efficient manner
- Perform diagnostic tests such as UA’s, fecals, cytologies, skin scrapes, etc
- Assist in all aspects of surgical sterilization and medical care on all patients presenting for care.
- Enter required data into medical records legibly, whether it be paper or computer-based.
- Help with set up, check-in, recovery, checkout, and cleaning
- Work collaboratively with all other staff and volunteers to ensure animals are being cared for properly and getting the required treatments to prepare them for adoption.
- Certification as a Veterinary Technician preferred with experience as a high quality, high volume spay and neuter program veterinary technician.
- Preferred candidates need at least 1 year of anesthetic and surgical experience.
- The ability to be able to lift 50 lbs and be physically able to bend, stoop, kneel, squat, twist, reach, and climb steps.
- Ability to accurately evaluate the health and condition of animals, while providing safe restraint.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written or typed.
- The right candidate will be able to effectively work independently and will be self-motivated.
- Demonstrates honesty, integrity, and discretion. Skilled at handling sensitive and confidential situations.
- Strong interpersonal skills – outgoing, patient, professional, and able to get along well with a variety of people.
- Ability to show compassion and empathize with the foster families.
- Work as a team player, supporting the overall goals of the organization.
- Possibility-driven, proactive, personable, energetic, collaborative, and tactful.
- Brings a strong drive for results, while maintaining a calm approach to managing change and working through unexpected or challenging situations.
- Well organized.
- Deep and abiding passion to professionally advocate Ruff Start Rescue’s position on key animal welfare and No-Kill issues.
Availability: 8-10 hours shifts. Ability and willingness to allow for a flexible schedule are key.
Hourly rate: DOQ
Reports to: Senior Medical Manager and Director of ProgramsApplicants, Please note: Send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com. Interested applicants who do not include both items in their submission will not be considered.
Overall Summary and Description:
Ruff Start Rescue is a 501(c)3 nonprofit foster-based companion animal rescue based in Princeton, Minnesota. RSR rescues 3,200+ animals annually, including dogs, cats, and critters.
The Grants Writer is responsible for overseeing Ruff Start Rescue’s grant program. This includes applying for grants, submitting grant reports, and researching new grant sources.
This is a part-time hourly position of 20 hours per week. This is a fully remote position with the opportunity to work in an office setting if desired. Must be able to check in every day.
Lead and Supervise:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide prospect research for potential grant opportunities for programs, services, and operations, and other needs within the organization.
- Maintain a list of timelines/deadlines and tasks associated with grants at all stages.
- Submit a minimum of 20-25 grants per fiscal year.
- Uphold relationships with foundation representatives as appropriate.
- Oversee post-award grant management.
- Develop and submit reports to funding agencies and track progress and funds spent.
- Provide feedback and guidance to members of leadership pertaining to grant opportunities and secured funds to ensure compliance with funder guidelines and project parameters.
- Provide quarterly progress reports to the board on grant submissions and secured funds.
- Experience in all aspects of the grants process (prospecting, proposal development, post-award reporting)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and extremely organized
- Ability to work alongside and provide guidance to volunteers
- Competency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Have access to reliable smartphone and computer
- Experience using donation recording software, familiarity with Network for Good, preferred
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in business, non-profit administration, finance, or related field
- Understanding of animal welfare-related programs and services available within the organization and surrounding communities
A successful candidate will:
- Have a positive attitude
- Take initiative
- Be a self-starter
- Be extremely reliable
- Be trusted with sensitive and confidential information
- Be reliable and consistent in thought with the ability to make common-sense decisions
Compensation: $20+ DOQ
Reports To: Director of Development
Applicants, please note: Submit a cover letter when you apply.
High Level Volunteer Opportunities
Are you looking for a fulfilling and impactful way to utilize your skills and experience to help animals in need? Ruff Start Rescue seeks passionate and talented professionals to join our Board of Directors! As a board member, you will be critical in strategically governing our organization, supporting our dedicated staff and volunteers and making a positive impact in the lives of the animals we help. We are searching for individuals committed to our mission and who want to impact the lives of animals in need. We also offer a wide range of engagement opportunities such as organizational events, workshops to help you learn more about animal rescue and volunteer opportunities such as our transport days that allow you to directly interact with
the animals you’re saving!
As a board member, you will join a team of dedicated professionals and volunteers, help shape the organization’s direction, and build your skills and experience in nonprofit leadership. Whether you're an experienced board member or looking to take your first step into nonprofit leadership, we welcome you to apply!
We are currently seeking applicants for the following board positions:
- Veterinary Board Member
Your primary responsibilities as a board member will include:
- Leading strategically
- Being an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring financial stability
- Helping to secure fundraising resources
- Supervising and supporting the Executive Director, and
- Ensuring healthy governance
- Term Length – 2 years w/option to renew; max of 3 total terms
- Time Commitment – 4-6 hours per month (depending on areas of expertise, committee assignments, etc.)
Take the first step towards making a difference and apply now!